- Type of Incentive
- 25%–30% Transferable Tax Credit
- Maximum Benefit
25% transferable tax credit.
Bonus: 5% credit is authorized for feature films, TV movies, and series intended for a national audience meeting the minimum stage requirements in a qualified facility.
- Compensation and Project Caps/ Funding Per Year
This incentive program is not administered on a first-come, first-served basis. Projects receive priority and approval based on information contained in the application and other criteria.
Annual Cap: $60M.
Project Cap: One project may not get more than 20% of one year's allocation; credit then may be paid over two years
Comp Cap: $15M per project cap on aggregate compensation for ATL services provided by principal actors.
- What Qualifies
Production expense incurred within PA including but not limited to compensation to an individual subject to PA income tax and paid to a PA-based vendor.
- Application Considerations
Production company registration is required.
1) Submit a completed Film Tax Credit Application.
2) Applicants must submit the Budget Top Sheet.
3) Applicants must provide verifiable documentation that 70% of the financing for the project has been secured and the remaining 30% will be secured prior to the planned start date of principal photography in the Commonwealth.
4) Submit a copy of the script.
5) Submit a completed 'Single Application' available at newPA.com. The 'Single Application' must be submitted electronically.
6) Pay an application fee of 0.2% of 25% of your estimated expenditures in PA not to exceed $5K. The application fee is non-refundable unless your application is rejected due to a lack of funds. The application fee does not apply to projects with a total production cost of one million dollars or less.
- Application Considerations
CPA audit required prior to authorization of tax credit. Carry Forward: 3 Years (contact Film Office for carry forward rules for transferees).
Transfer Considerations: Upon receiving tax clearance from the PA Department of Reveue, the tax credit may be assigned or sold, in whole or in part, to one or more transferees. Assignees and transferees of the tax credit shall immediately claim the credit in the taxable year in which the purchase or assignment is made. Amount of the credit an assignee or transferee may use against any one qualified tax liability may not exceed 50% of such qualified tax liability for the taxable year.
- Loan-Out Company Considerations
Registration: Loan-out companies must be incorporated or registered in PA prior to the commencement of principal photography in PA or the date on which such company was engaged, whichever is later.
- Crew Base Considerations
Crew directory available.
- Is Mappable
- Has Incentive Program
- You Should Know
Loan program available. Contact Greater Philadelphia Film Office for more details. Yearly review of program effectiveness September 1.
- EPPS Address
109 Dewalt, Suite 100
Pittsburgh, PA 15227
Sun Center Studios
63 Concord Rd., Suite 100
Aston, PA 19014
- TCP Available
- Screen Credit Required
- Project Criteria
Minimum local spend is >= 60% of the budget, unless waived for projects with local spend >= $30M meeting the minimum stage filming requirement. Minimum stage filming requirements for projects spending < $30M (per project) include: build >= 1 set, shoot >= 10 days at a qualified facility, and spend >= $1.5M for use, rental, or services at the qualified facility. The minimum stage filming requirements for projects spending >= $30M include: build >= 2 sets, shoot >= 15 days, and spend >= $5M on use, rental, or services at the qualified facility.
Pennsylvania Film Office | www.filminpa.com Janice Collier, Film Tax Credit Manager Phone: 717.783.3456 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hotel Tax Exemption
- Fine Print
- "60% of budget unless waived."
- Post Facilities
- Water Tank
- Big City
- Historical Architecture
- In-State Vendors
- Out-of-State Vendors
- Fringes Paid
- Taxes Paid
Qualified Compensation Expenditures
- Award Shows
- Feature Films
- Game Shows
- Interactive Media and Video Games
- Music Videos
- Reality Shows
- Scripted Shows
- Sporting Events
- Talk Shows
- Visual Effects
- 72 P.S. § 8701-D to 72 P.S. § 8711-D
These materials have been prepared by Entertainment Partners for informational purposes only and should not be construed as tax advice or relied on for specific projects. Though every effort has been made to remain current, laws and incentives change and, therefore, this information may have been revised. Please contact EP Financial Solutions or your legal or tax advisors to confirm any laws or the effect of incentives on your project.
Copyright © 2019 Entertainment Partners. All Rights Reserved.