The Producers Guild of America has published a comprehensive document detailing a raft of Covid-19 safety protocols for those filming in the US.
COVID Safety Protocols for Producing Independent Productions is broken down into various sections and headings, including:
• Greenlight/Startup Questions – how to assess when and where to greenlight a project
• Prepro Recommendations - Pre-production recommendations specifically for producers starting a production during the pandemic
• Red Light Protocols - How to manage production when a team member exhibits Covid-19 symptoms or tests positive for Covid-19, including potentially shutting down and restarting a production. This section includes Red Light Protocols Flowchart and Red Light Replacement Flowchart
• Code of Conduct - Recommendations to promote a responsible and ethical work environment
• Health and Safety Dept Description - Job descriptions and requirements for new health and safety positions, including Health and Safety Supervisor and Health and Safety Manager. This section includes a Sample Health and Safety Dept Structure
• Budget Considerations - Potential budgetary considerations to account for while ensuring the safety of the production
There is also a section on the vital question of insurance, where producers are urged to ensure they have a written commitment from their financier that it would cover the costs of production shut-downs, crew pay etc, as there is currently no government backstop in place in the US.
Producers can also contribute to a Tips from the Field forum, where advice will be shared by the production community about the practicalities and pitfalls working during the Covid era.
Click here to access the full guidance report.