UK Film and TV Production Restart Scheme extended by six months

The extension to the scheme will support around 400 additional productions and protect 34,500 jobs

The new UK culture secretary, Nadine Dorries, has revealed plans for a six-month extension to the UK Film and TV Restart Scheme. Approximately 400 additional productions will benefit from the scheme.

The government launched the £500m UK Film and TV Production Restart Scheme last year to help the UK’s screen industries bounce back from Covid-19. The scheme has supported 835 productions working across the UK, protecting over 70,000 jobs and £2.3bn of production spend.

The latest extension means the scheme now remains open for applications until April 30, 2022, and will provide cover for claims up to June 30, 2022. This additional six months of support should protect around 34,500 jobs and £1.2bn of production spend.

During the next six months, the government’s aim is for the industry to exit from the UK Film and TV Production scheme. To support the transfer of risk to the market, the scheme fee will increase to 2.5% from November 1. A statement from the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport said: “The increase in fee will ensure that the current needs of the UK production industry are maintained while balancing the need to deliver value for money for taxpayers.”

The extension comes following the unveiling of the UK Global Screen Fund's second round of production and distribution awards, with an additional 18 film projects awarded a total of £931,656.

Rishi Sunak, the chancellor of the exchequer, said: “Our world-leading film and TV industry supports hundreds of thousands of jobs – that’s why it was so important we helped it to get up and running again as part of our [package of measures to help stop rise in unemployment] Plan For Jobs.

“It’s great that by extending the Film and TV Production Restart Scheme we will give even more productions the confidence to keep rolling, supporting jobs across the UK and producing the film and TV we all love.”

“Our brilliant film and TV industry is creating jobs, driving investment and selling the UK on screens both big and small across the globe,” added culture secretary Nadine Dorries.

“Together the UK Global Screen Fund and UK Film and TV Production Restart Scheme are developing new opportunities in the sector and helping British talent and creativity to develop, grow and reach audiences around the world, whilst protecting and supporting our brilliant producers and screen businesses across the whole country.”

This article originally appeared on sister site, ScreenDaily.

UK Film and TV Production Restart Scheme extended by six months
Nadine Dorries
UK Film and TV Production Restart Scheme extended by six months
Nadine Dorries

The new UK culture secretary, Nadine Dorries, has revealed plans for a six-month extension to the UK Film and TV Restart Scheme. Approximately 400 additional productions will benefit from the scheme.

The government launched the £500m UK Film and TV Production Restart Scheme last year to help the UK’s screen industries bounce back from Covid-19. The scheme has supported 835 productions working across the UK, protecting over 70,000 jobs and £2.3bn of production spend.

The latest extension means the scheme now remains open for applications until April 30, 2022, and will provide cover for claims up to June 30, 2022. This additional six months of support should protect around 34,500 jobs and £1.2bn of production spend.

During the next six months, the government’s aim is for the industry to exit from the UK Film and TV Production scheme. To support the transfer of risk to the market, the scheme fee will increase to 2.5% from November 1. A statement from the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport said: “The increase in fee will ensure that the current needs of the UK production industry are maintained while balancing the need to deliver value for money for taxpayers.”

The extension comes following the unveiling of the UK Global Screen Fund's second round of production and distribution awards, with an additional 18 film projects awarded a total of £931,656.

Rishi Sunak, the chancellor of the exchequer, said: “Our world-leading film and TV industry supports hundreds of thousands of jobs – that’s why it was so important we helped it to get up and running again as part of our [package of measures to help stop rise in unemployment] Plan For Jobs.

“It’s great that by extending the Film and TV Production Restart Scheme we will give even more productions the confidence to keep rolling, supporting jobs across the UK and producing the film and TV we all love.”

“Our brilliant film and TV industry is creating jobs, driving investment and selling the UK on screens both big and small across the globe,” added culture secretary Nadine Dorries.

“Together the UK Global Screen Fund and UK Film and TV Production Restart Scheme are developing new opportunities in the sector and helping British talent and creativity to develop, grow and reach audiences around the world, whilst protecting and supporting our brilliant producers and screen businesses across the whole country.”

This article originally appeared on sister site, ScreenDaily.

Latest news & features

Promote your services with KFTV

Choose from three profile types - Basic, Silver and Gold

create profile

We offer a range of display advertising opportunities. Click below to find out more.

Advertise With Us