Film and TV productions in Los Angeles are set to once again require indoor masking and other pandemic protocols, thanks to a rise in serious Covid cases in the area.
The current version of the US industry’s return to work agreement between unions and the Hollywood studios calls for indoor masking and other safety measures when a metropolitan area records eight or more weekly hospital admissions for Covid per 100,000 people over a seven-day period.
During a media briefing on Thursday (June 30) Los Angeles County public health officer Barbara Ferrer revealed that with Covid cases up 17% over last week the area has now topped the eight cases per 100,000 people threshold, which will cause productions to once again tighten protocols.
“With new hospital admissions reaching more than eight per week per 100,000 population, they will resume indoor masking requirements, along with several other safety measures,” Ferrer said.
Ferrer also praised the film and TV industry for its response to the pandemic: “This industry has worked closely with their labour partners to institute Covid safety measures that create safety for all workers while being able to continue the important work,” she said. “We do applaud them along with many other businesses that are taking advantage of the many tools that are available to keep workers safe.”
The industry’s return to work guidelines were first agreed in September 2020 and have been updated several times since, most recently with some relaxation of protocols. The current version of the agreement was approved in May and runs until July 15.